THE SECOND LIFE OF RETIRED AIRPLANES
For many, airplanes have an incredible power of attraction, which makes them the ideal place to enjoy museums, underwater attractions, hotels, and restaurants. And although the food that is served on commercial airplanes is generally criticized, I assure you that these 5 restaurants offer a more appetizing menu:
- McDonald’s, New Zealand: It is a Douglas DC-3 and one of the best attractions in Taupō. This old South Pacific Airlines plane was active during the ’60s, but in the 90’s it was remodeled, painting it silver, with a red stripe and the famous logo of this fast-food chain.
- El Avión, Costa Rica: This is a Fairchild C-123 located in the middle of the Costa Rican jungle. Inside the plane, you can find a cozy pub, while, under the wings, it has two levels of restaurant, which is famous for its seafood and fish dishes.
- Steaks on a Plane, United Kingdom: It is composed of the front end of a scrapped Boeing 737. It was renovated in 2015, and its name is a pun that evokes the cult film Snakes on a plane. More than a restaurant, it is a fast-food stall, which first started on a red double-decker bus with tables and chairs for 28 people, and although they still serve food on disposable plates, now British food has a little more style Be reinvented inside an airplane.
- Hawaii Adda, India: This vegetarian restaurant is located inside an old Airbus 320 that belonged to the Air India company. They now have a fuselage lined with ostentatious cabins and is inspired by the Maharaja Express, the most luxurious train in India. It was the first of its kind in India, and the idea was replicated in 2017 when they remodeled another A320 to turn it into Runway 1, another restaurant inside an airplane, but that took the concept a little further, including a boarding pass for Diners and a 3D flight simulation game.
- La Tante DC10, Ghana: It was a plane in operation of Ghana Airways, and now serves Ghanaian dishes right next to the airport. The restaurant’s waiting area is what used to be first-class, while the economy class has become the main place to dine and have a drink.
And you, would you board a plane just for dinner?