Statistically, the plane is the safest means of transportation in the world. However, landing an airplane is not always as easy as it seems; There are many airports that represent a great challenge for pilots due to their location or the short extension of the runway.
If you like adrenaline, in this article we present the five airports in which pilots must demonstrate their skills to the maximum:
- The smallest commercial runway in the world is just 400 meters long, and is located in Saba, a Dutch dependency (Caribbean). Although landing at the Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport, you end up on the edge of a cliff, nothing extraordinary has happened other than adding a bit of tension to each landing.
- The French island of San Bartolomé is located in the Caribbean Sea. It has just 25 square kilometers for 9,000 inhabitants. It is a beautiful place with a crystal clear sea and incredible beaches, ideal for a good holiday. However, landing in this place requires a lot of courage, since the runway of Gustaf III Airport in San Bartolomé ends a few meters from the beach; Even, many flights have ended in the water.
- The Airport of St. Martin, Princess Juliana is very close to the beach of Maho, even, every time there is a landing, tourists of this beach can feel the strong winds generated by the plane that passes approximately 25 meters above his head.
- The Madeira Airport, in Portugal, presents strong turbulence due to how close it is to the coast. And although this should not be a problem for those pilots with experience, only those who have a special license can operate in this place.
- Another airport in which each of the pilots must make their skills known is that of Gibraltar. It is a small territory of the United Kingdom, and its airport also has limited dimensions, in fact, the runway crosses a busy four-lane highway, so this road must be closed every time a plane must land or take off.
And you, have you landed on any of these tracks? Tell us your experience.